Krita Desktop is a free an open source painting application. Krita is the full-featured free digital painting studio for artists who want to create professional work from start to end. Krita is used by comic book artists, illustrators, concept artists, matte and texture painters and in the digital VFX industry. Krita has been in development for over 10 years and has had an explosion in growth recently. It offers many common and innovative features to help the amateur and professional alike.
Krita has a user-friendly interface. The dockers and panels can be moved and customized for your specific workflow. Once you have your setup, you can save it as your own workspace. You can also create your own shortcuts for commonly used tools.
In addition to painting, Krita comes with vector, filter, group, and file layers. Combine, order, and flatten layers to help your artwork stay organized. There are also three different views on how to see the layers.
Krita supports full color management through LCMS for ICC and OpenColor IO for EXR, allowing you to incorporate Krita into your existing color management pipeline.
Open PSD files that even Photoshop cannot open. Load and save to PSD when you need to take your artwork across different programs.
Krita is the only dedicated painting application that lets you open, save, edit and author HDR and scene-deffered images. Furthermore, with OCIO and OpenEXR support, you can manipulate the view to examine HDR images, and use it in the most cutting edge workflows from the film and visual effects industries.
Krita 4.1.7 changelog:
The most important fix is a weird one: it might help your wifi connection. The problem is that we started building a widget that would show you the news feed from krita.org. The widget isn’t active, and doesn’t make any kind of network connection… But Qt’s network manager class still checks your wifi settings all the time.
See these bugs:
- Fix showing wrongly that there is no audio support in the animation timeline audio menu
- Disable the disk-based animation cache rendering backend on Windows: this would give problems with animations bigger than about 150 frames. (BUG 401326)
- Don’t hang when trying to load recent files thumbnails for files in a location that’s no longer accessible. (BUG:401939)
- Make it possible to use the LUT docker when Angle is enabled on Windows. We have also updated the OpenColorIO library to the latest release.
- Remember whether anti-aliasing was enabled in selection tools (BUG:401730)
- Add a shortcut to activate the text tool (BUG:401655)
- Make the toolbars movable again
- Make Select by Color Range check the entire image (BUG:346138)
- Enable HiDPI support by default: the problems with the canvas scaling have been solved.
- Allow krita to import more than file at a time when started from a file manager (BUG:401476)
- Fix using the scrollwheel in comboboxes on Linux (BUG:399379) Patch by Mykola Krachkovsky.
- Fix the calculation of Average Desaturation (BUG:400493)
- Do not crash when exporting Compositions (BUG:400627)
- Make the move tool show the correct cursor in all modes
- Let the move tool move invisible layers
- Fix a crash in the artistic color selector (BUG:399860)